Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cement squeeze invasion depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmlpetro

Chemical
Apr 1, 2005
CA
Hi,

I am trying to estimate the radial depth of invasion of a cement squeeze job.

In a well I am looking at a gas zone that was perforated and tested and then abandoned by cement squeeze. I would like to reperforate or jet abraze to produce the zone.

Porosity of the zone is approx 20% and permeability 10mD. From the completions reports 0.2m3 was squeezed into the formation.

Any idea on how deep I will have to perforate in order to get past the cement damage? The charges I usually use to perf a zone like this have penetration depth of about 24.5".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The quick & dirty way would be a volume calulation: what volume of rock does 0.2m3 of cement in the pore space occupy, and then calculate a depth from the wellbore.

Looking at the skin factor, a quick search of the SPE library shows several papers looking at formation damage by cement filtrate invasion such as:

SPE 19305-PA Formation Damage Caused by Cement Filtrates in Sandstone Cores

SPE 30087-PA An Experimental Evaluation of the Formation-Damage Potential of Cement Filtrates and Leachates

SPE 25218-MS Permeability Damage Due to Precipitation of Insoluble Salts From Cement Slurry Filtrate

Happy reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back