cement that was spilled onto the process piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw71im

Petroleum
Aug 29, 2008
SA
Dear All,

I work with a client and they found out that cement was spilled onto the process piping on the platform! Can any one verify if this can do any harm to the piping because it is very difficult to remove this.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you want a list?
1. What is composition of cement? Anything harmful to pipe alloy?
2. The cement has formed crevices on pipe making corrosion conditions potentially more severe.
3. The cement will trap moisture and impurities against the surface of the pipe.

If it were mine I would be having a new pipe segment fabricated to replace the possibly compromised one.
I wouldn't worry about the short term, 6-9 months. But I wouldn't leave it.

It is possible that this would cause no damage. If the cement was alkali enough then it would serve to suppress most corrosion and protect the pipe.
Not a good gamble.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Normally we wouldn't allow cement to stay in contact with pipe that sees any temperature or under goes thermal cycling. We had one very bad excursion of our process steam piping. As stated above cement isn't a problem with CS piping as it used to encase piping along with anchors, kickers, all the time. At one time they did use a cement wash to coat CS piping.

You might be able to remove the cement residue that you have by using some citric acid based cleaned or pure inhibited citric acid. Citric acid is commonly used to remove residual cement from cement trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back