Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Center portion of elliptical and torrispherical heads 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TankTheFrank

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2008
US
What is the code case that allows the center 80% of an elliptical and torrispherical head to be calculated as a hemispherical head?
API 510 allows it in para 7.4.6, ASME infers it in the nozzle calc in UG37, and API 579 has it in their head calcs in para 2C.3.5 and 2c.3.6... but I cannot find anything that allows it for NBIC... I am assuming that having an ASME Code Case would be ok.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't seem to find it in ASME Section VIII Div 1 so I thought it was in a code case. I remember the center 2/3rd or 80% of the head can be considered hemispherical... do you know where that is referenced?

Mathematically it makes sense because you can approximate the surface area of an ellipsoidal sector with a spherical sector as long as the axis of the ellipsoidal sector is large and I am thinking at least 8 feet.

"considered hemispherical..." for what purpose?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

"... but I cannot find anything that allows it for NBIC..." You should not find the information in this document as it deals with inspections after installations, repairs, alterations, safety appliances, and rerating. Read the purpose and the scope of the NBIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back