Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Center Symbols for Circles or Arcs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDesigner09

Aerospace
Nov 19, 2010
US
Hi,

Where the heck are the center symbols for placing at center of a hole or arc in drafting?

I was told by one person that these may need be modeled in on the model side, which I find hard to believe. Additionally, the radius or rounds were added in after the sketch solid created.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your sketches have the sharps and are separate features not embedded you can create a datum point Feature to show the intersections.

Michael
@trajpar

If it is a hole, it will have an axis and you just show the axis. Some arcs, depending on how they were created, will not have an axis. But you don't usually need to show their center either. You can still dimension to the center of any arc or circle even if the axis is not shown.

Hi Everyone,

To help clarify what I'm seeking, I included a picture.

In this picture, you will see that I did dimension to the center of these arcs. However, I also want to show a "real center symbol".

Unless I'm missing the Drafting Center Symbol feature, it does not appear that ProE allows us to do this easily.

Thanks again for the assistance.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=77c6d30b-0ab6-49e6-8a58-ad69a62907be&file=ProE_Center_Symbol.doc
If you create an intersection curve in a sketch and extrude it after enabling the config option shown below

SHOW_AXES_FOR_EXTR_ARCS YES /no* is default

Then ProE will have the internal axes needed to show as the
( + ) symbols you're looking for.

Or if you create an intersection curve of the Face and Plane or pick the edges if the revolved shape is split along the plane anyway.

Axis Points cannot be created in all sketch types. They are restricted to internal sketches defined during fearure creation.

As a workaround, you can extrude a surface using a Line sketched during the extrude with Define Internal Sketch option and then use Sketch > Axis Point using the intersection reference as described below.

Sketch > References X sec button

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back