Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ceramic Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotorworks

Jun 6, 2004
AU
Im looking at building a compressor for a project Im working on. The problem is that it will see some high temperatures and pressures.
I have been doing a little research and from what I have read, Silicon Carbide seems to be a good choice for this, however Ive spent a bit to much time studying aerodynamics so a little help here would be aprreciated.
The expected pressure is around 8atm, and the temp around 1500C, spinning at up to 15000RPM. The part is fairly soild, a cylinder with a larger thread cut into it, approx 400mm * 100mm. Im sorry that this is a little vauge, its in the very early stages.

Would SC be the best choice for this environment?

How easy is it to shape SC, is a very large screw thread out of the question?

Is SC hard to mass produce parts out of?

Any recomendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SiC maybe is the one material to use at 1500C. However, it will react with oxygen or steam at 1500C. It is also very difficult to machine and would be very expensive to produce SiC compressor wheel.

Thanx cermax.

Is there a type of ceramic which would be suitable for this type of application? Or am I going to have to look at alloys?

I don't know any super alloy could run at 1500C, even with today's the most advanced material like DS/SC superalloy. GE might have one new material in developing stage, but may still below 1500C. I don't have knowledge how to covert your 15000RPM to the requirement on material mechanical properties. If you can provide the mechanical properties like strength, toughness and others, I may be able to make some suggestion. But what you are looking for might well be a very difficult task that has been desired for decades with little success.

There are plenty of ceramics that can be used in air over 1,500C - including sintered silicon carbide (up to 1,900C in air). SiC is the material I recommend for your application from both a thermal and strength perspective. We've produced very similar parts like this for pumps, but not quite as high as 15,000 RPM. Expect to pay quite a premium for the part - if I'm understanding correctly the part is 400mm OD x 100mm ID you'll pay well over US$2,000 per inch. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back