Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ceramic Engine Design Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutcher

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2002
US
I am working on an engine design that is basically 100% ceramic. Burn temps. will be over 1000C.

I am completely without a clue in this, so go gentle.

I could use a development partner, if there is interest.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contructing an all ceramic engine has been done before. The interest seems to go up and down depending on the price of oil, and other factors. Ceramics are generally weak in tension, and strong in compression. However, there are companies that can manufacture the components for you, and non-destructive testing has improved greatly over the years.

I recommend as few components as possible, which will depend on your fundamental design. Is your fundamental design based on the Otto Cycle or the Brayton Cycle. I would recommend the Brayton Cycle(jet engine) for fewer moving parts. It should be noted that jet engines(turbines)use turbine blades made of super alloys. These turbine blades can be cooled by internal passages in them.

There was some work done over the years on this subject. Ford Motor Company, and Koycera substituted ceramic components for different parts of an engine(Otto Cycle). I would recommend a good overview technical article for you to read, which is entitled: "The New Breed of ceramics" by Richard A. Alliegro in the March 1975 issue of CERAMIC INDUSTRY. Silicon Nitride is serviceable up to 1375C. Silicon Carbide has also been used by Garrett Turbine Engine Company to make annular combustors for a gas turbine engine. The American Ceramic Society has published over the years a number of proceedings on this topic. Another good general reference book for you to read is Modern Ceramic Engineering by David W. Richerson, which was published by Marcel Dekker, Inc..

Obviously the best way handle this is to figure out what fundamental design you want, then contact various ceramic companies to see what they have done or have available in terms of ceramic components for your design. This will avoid large tooling charges, depending on the forming process. Lets face it the price you pay for ceramic components is based on volume + tooling charge. So, you need to be flexiable.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. If not, then let me know.

Best Regards,

Genesis

Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back