Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ceramic insulator material

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon4

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2002
US
I'm looking for a suggestion for a ceramic insulating plate.
I'll be using the plate on a 3" x 60" aluminum plate heated internally by an element to about 500F. the plate will be about 1" thick. along the lower 1" of this plate's face I'd like to attach a 1" x 60" long strip of ceramic plate. My hope is the ceramic plate dissipates enough heat such that the exposed ceramic 1"x60" face is less than 100F. This face will become a squaring fence for foam rubber with heat activated contact cement. Once the rubber sheet is squared up the entire aluminim plate will then translate down to expose the rubber surface to the hot face of the aluminum plate.
I'm looking for a material type and recommended thickness.

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Falcon4

Have you considered a computational analysis to determine the design parameters. This may offer a more cost effective solution to physical prototyping. Let me know if this would be of interest - depending on your design needs it might prove a cheaper option in the long run.

Best regards

Here are some sources for materials that may be able to fill your requirements. The first one has a little bit of everything that you may need. The second two are machinable ceramics. No 4 is supplier of high quality insulating materials.

You may have to use composite structure for strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back