Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ceramic Piston and Cylinder, Seal free design

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleveland180

Mechanical
Sep 13, 2010
US
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has a good link for ceramic piston and cylinder design. My current project is to properly design a seal free piston, but I don't really understand all the considerations that must be taken into account.
I believe I will be using a Silicon carbide cylinder with a Tungsten carbide, or a zircona piston.

If anyone has a good website, or a book they would recommend I would greatly appreciate it. It seems all I can find are ceramic coated motor pistons, and home air compressors with a google search.

I am certain this is going to be a pricey and complex endeavor, but the boss gets what the boss wants haha.

Service is natural gas
pressure 3600 psi

Thank You for any help,
David Lopez

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what does the piston and cylinder have to do with anything about the seal. The seal is around the piston rod.

Are you talking a ringless design? A non lubricated design?

Both "ring-less" and non lubricated. Sorry I should have written that better.
I have a cylinder and piston set that I am supposed to use as "inspiration" but I don't really know how it works or why the grooves are where they are, so I would not feel comfortable sending drawings out, I don't even know how the parts work together to form a seal.

I am not looking for anyone to design something for me, just point me in the direction of a book or online lecture so that I can learn.
Thank you,
David

HAHAH, that is exactly what I am not looking for. I know what a ceramic coated piston is, how they work and their advantages, but a solid ceramic piston is something different.
Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back