Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certification as TUV functional safety engineer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotw

Mechanical
May 25, 2013
CA
Hello,

I am looking at the prospect of enrolling to a course / certification program as TUV functional safety engineer (Germany). I am of mechanical background and I am investing my own money.

Few questions I would like to ask especially for people dealing with functional safety in general.

As I pointed out, I am mechanical engineer and have dealt with functional safety in the context of HAZOP reviews, implementation of process safety requirements. I addition I have experience in systems engineering which found me dealing with instruments, wiring etc. I also have basic exposure to SIL loops.

I thought that it can be a good asset to develop additional skills in the field of functional safety to improve marketability as multi-skilled engineer and enlarge my scope of activities. I also found very useful to have a good grasp on functional safety aspects when engineering systems/components and as design engineer in general.

- Considering the investment level (about 3k USD) self funded, would you see the benefits worth the efforts?
- Am I right considering extending my skills to functional safety area or is too much of a stretch considering I come from a mechanical engineering discipline? Would this mean I could face difficulties to succeed at the TUV exam?
- Anyone with similar / related experience to share some thoughts? Could you point me please to resources / training materials to help me preparing for this topic, if possible?

Thanks a lot in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that this is a thing you want to do, but are unsure about if you will succeed and if you will benefit economical and practical from it in the future.

It is often said that you later regret more the things you have not done, than the things you have done!

If you really want to do it, do it now!

When I looked at this several years ago, the exam was more about the rules than design. I'd say go for it because it cannot hurt. It demonstrates you're still moving forward in your profession. I don't think being a mechanical will limit you either, if you have enough experience in instrumentation, systems, and process control.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC
NSPE-CO, Central Chapter
Dinner program:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back