Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

certification requirements for D17.1 or 1595 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiph

Industrial
Nov 1, 2002
US
i'm just looking for some general procedural information on MIL-STD-1595 [AMS-STD-1595] or, even AWS D17.1 for 4130. such as diameter and wall thickness limitations and other requirements.
thanks,
chip

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More information would be required to adequately answer your post.

1. What type of application is your procedure for? (Flight hardware or nonflight hardware?)

2. What weld classification? (Class A, B or C?)

3. What product format? (Tube, sheet or plate?)

4. What type of weld is required? (Fillet, groove, CJP/PJP?)

5. Process, position, base metal group, thickness, etc. can be helpful as well.

1. flight hardware [elevator[?] bellcrank]
2.not sure what A, B, C, is. if it's process, it's gtaw
3. tube to plate
4. probably fillet, but not sure yet. haven't seen repair procedure or, A/D. i've just been approached regarding this issue. no paperwork yet.
5. gtaw[guess that's not A, B, C]. metal is 4130. iv'e been told tube is @ .750 .060 wall. boss it's welded to is unknown but my guess is @ 1.5"dia.X.250 thick. this is just from my past experience with similar hardware. i've also been told no pwht, so it's probably not too big or thick. this will be welded off the aircraft, fixtured on a bench, so position shouldn't be an issue.
thanks,
chip

chiph:
1., 2.: Group IB [4130] flight hardware [bellcrank] that is being repaired must be classified [critical (Class A), semicritical (Class B) or noncritical (Class C) by the engineering authority.

3.: If a fillet weld is used, a fillet weld test is required if the base metal thickness is <0.063&quot;.

4.: The repair weld procedure must be qualified and approved by the engineering authority.

5.: All repair welds require VT and NDT (MT or PT).

CWIC,
would the engineering authority be considered the aircraft manufacturer and/or their engineering dept? also, if a fillet weld test is required is it something in the order of a tube to plate connection in the 5F position, such as in D1.1?
thanks,
chip

Engineering Authority (EA): &quot;...the contracting agency or corporate organization that acts for and behalf of the customer on all matters within the scope of the standard. The EA has the responsibility for the structural integrity or maintenance of airworthiness of the hardware and compliance with all contract documents.&quot;

I am cross-referencing the WPS qualification details D1.17:2001 and D1.1:2002:
D17.1 D1.1
Figure 4.5 Figure 4.6(E)
Figure 4.9 Figure 4.20, Detail B
Figure 4.11 &quot; &quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back