Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Certified Floodplain Manager accreditation .. what's the process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej67

Civil/Environmental
May 13, 2009
US
I see there's a test and a fee. I also see several courses listed by FEMA. Are the courses required? Is there a professional experience requirement? Is this the sort of thing that only government people can get, or can private engineers go for it as well?

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a privately practicing engineer and I have my CFM. It is pretty useful in the land development sector and/or if you work with municipal stormwater/floodplain management departments.

You do not have to take any specific classes to sit for the exam. Will it be easier if you take a review class, yes. The primary thing is knowing 44 CFR Chapter 60 inside and out. If you can download review materials from FEMA those should be plenty to prepare you.

The exam really isn't that difficult. Good luck.

I'm not sure about what ASFPM's requirements are, in Texas the Texas Floodplain Management Association requires 8 hours of continuing ed annually. Other certifying entities are probably similar.

I have to get 15 hours per year for my PE so I try to find courses that will apply to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back