Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cessna 172 Tailcone Stringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldanr

Aerospace
Feb 15, 2002
US
I have noticed that Cessna designed the 172 D thru 172 I models without a tailcone stringer. I have found some of the K models without a tailcone stringer also. The stringers are 2 J-section that sits on the bottom / side and an L-Extrusion that is located int he middle. Also I have notice that some of those stringers vary on thickness, some of them are .032 and some of them are .051 thick. I know cessna started to add stringers in the L / M model, with a gross weight increase. I know that the stringers are linked to the gross weight increase in some models.

I am just trying to find the history (soap opera) behind the Cessna 172 stringer engineering in those aircraft. Wich airplanes were equiped with a .032 stringer, and wich were equiped with a .051? Did they have a different GW?

If anyone has knowledge on this matter please let me know your 2 cents?!

Have a great day! :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I would start my search in the Illustrated Parts Catalog for the 172's. You might find the part numbers and effectivities for a series of parts, and then all you would have to do is find the planes you need - those that contain different part #'s - and measure what you need. Say (for example) you can find and measure up a 172F model, and the part effectivity is from "D" to "I", you can then assume that the "D"s thru the "I"s are the same as the one you measured.

A 0.032" stringer would likely have a different P/N than an 0.050" stringer. Gross weight increases can be tracked through Type Certificate Data Sheets, available from the FAA website.

I've not dug too deeply into 172 IPC's myself, beyond a job on a wing and another on a door frame, so I can't say how comprehensive the book will be. There is a possibility that finding an older IPC would reveal valuable information on the earlier models (in case newer books don't contain that information any more - but I doubt Cessna would do that).

Steven Fahey, CET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back