Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CFC Draft Curtain Requirement in Non-Sprinklered Buildings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arion

Materials
Nov 22, 2010
US
Hi,

CFC Table 3206.2 calls for the use of draft curtains in non-sprinklered buildings. In what capacity would they actually be required? According to Table 910.3, draft curtains must contain a floor area of 10,000 SF max. for Class I-IV commodities <= 20' top of storage. My understanding is that draft curtains would not be required under the following conditions:

* The total floor area in the warehouse is under 10,000 SF, AND
* The vent-to-floor ratio meets the required 1:100.

If either of these 2 conditions are not met, a draft curtain would have to be installed to meet both of those requirements.

That is to say, even if the warehouse area is under 10,000 SF, if the ratio is not met, a draft curtain would be required to meet that ratio (or additional vents added). Similarly, if the ratio is met but the 10,000 SF is exceeded, a draft curtain is also needed. Otherwise, if both conditions are met, a draft curtain is not needed.

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The draft curtains are not required if the building does not contain high piled combustible storage are not required if the building is sprinklered.

Thanks for the responses. To be clear, I am specifically referring to the scenario where the building is non-sprinklered (so not ESFR where Note j would apply), and IS high piled storage.

My question did include my own answer of the scenario in which I've outlined... I am really just looking for some peer verification that my own answer is correct, or to correct me if I'm mistaken. Thank you!

Trying to use your scenario

Class 1-4

Under 10,000 sq ft

No sprinklers

1 draft curtains not required

2 smoke removal is required

Thanks, I greatly appreciate the valuable info on this everyone, it really helped out. Sorry for this late reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back