Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CFRP anisotropic properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
Jul 11, 2001
BN
Can anyone tell me where (websites) to get CFRP (carbon fibre reinforced polymer)ANISOTROPIC/ORTHOTOPIC properties. Thank u.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ANISOTROPIC/ORTHOTOPIC properties will depend on the structure more than anything else but also on the matrix polymer and on the process and processing conditions.

Why do you ask

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I need the properties in order to find the effect of CFRP rods/bars on concrete beam.ie stresses induced on concrete beams. As you might probably know very well that concrete beams are traditionally reinforced with steel rods. Thanks.

When I worked at Akzo Nobel Arami division about 15 years ago, we did some work on concrete reinforcement with both aramid fibre and carbon fibre.

The main idea was to make a mesh type fabric that was used to repair concrete cancer where the rusting steel reinforcement was damaging the integrity of the concrete in buildings.

The fabrics were made from pultruded rods that were then laid up as a square mesh.

Concrete needs no reinforcement in compression, but it does need it in tension to prevent cracks propagating to failure.

The tensile strength of these fibres is well documented, so Google or the fibre manufacturers websites will give you the data.

Only count the fibres along the axis of the fibre. Ignore any contribution from the resin.

The fabric manufacturer should be able to provide the weight of fibre per unit of length or area of the fabric. From this you can calculate the cross sectional area of the fibre to do the tensile strength of the fabric calculations.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Check out the American Concrete Institute's 440 committee on FRP. They have a design guide for FRP rebar (440.1R, I believe)that might have some general properties for you ( Might also want to check with carbon rebar suppliers like Hughes Brothers and Pultrall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back