Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CFS Stud Wall Weak axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnino99

Structural
Jan 26, 2024
US
Hi! I'm new to designing CFS studs. My question is my supervisor said in a Stud Wall the bending would be in minor axis. I am having a hard time understanding the weak axis bending. If the Stud walls are oriented like in the picture, the load would be applied on the flanges and wouldn't this be a strong axis bending like a Channel section beam along the symmetrical axis? He also said the sheathing provides bracing in the weak axis direction and not in the strong direction. Can someone please explain to me like a 10 year old lol thanks!
bending_fvkfhe.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With the loading scenario depicted, the studs are bending about the strong axis. Sheathing braces the studs against weak axis torsional-flexural buckling.

DaveAtkins

LTB and Buckling minor axis may control until the sheetrock is installed. I usually design these assuming the 4 ft. O.C. bridging is providing the resistance
as you never know when a renovation is going to take place and the sheetrock is removed.

I think its just the terminology that is getting you hung up. In my sketch, he is calling x-axis the minor axis so using the right hand rule (putting your thumb in the direction of the axis) then bending about x-axis or the minor axis is the strong direction for the stud. Even as I write this it is confusing but I think that is what the supervisor was getting at. You can clarify with them.

Screenshot_y3vhbi.png

Just to explicitly state what GC_Hopi is describing. The supervisor is likely referring to the *wall* weak axis. The wall strong axis is shear wall action. The weak axis is stud bending. The wall weak axis, though, is the stud strong axis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back