CGR equivalent in NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcovinagre

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2016
DE
Hi guys

I'm wondering if there is a way of having a file like the cgr files in CATIA V5.

In CATIA we can create a cgr in a product and it will be saved "inside" the product...we have no other file associated with it. So a assembly with only cgr data inside will only have one file.

Is there anything similar in NX? The jt files are handy and "light" but they always need a file with it.

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on how you plan to use the lightweight geometry. Linked Exterior, Lightweight Geometry and STL/Convergent are few I'd suggest.

Not necessarily. Linked Exterior is a feature in the model. Lightweight is facet representation in the model and facet conversion can be done on the fly too without creating a new file.

In your case I would use Assembly Representations tool. It will create a lightweight facets of the assembly geometry which will be added as a reference set. When you open the assembly which includes the airplane only the facet geometry will be loaded and no geometry from the parts. It would be good to hear how it works in your case.

have a look at NX "Product Outline".
it seems to do what you look for.

A Product Outline is a faceted representation saved in the assembly file which can be shown without loading the corresponding component files.

"a Huge file" is a difficult definition, is the file huge in megabytes or is it huge because it's complex ?
saving a product outline will make the assembly file larger in MB because we do save more data in it.
But, as you know, you can load the assembly Structure Only and then open the components you need in the session.
This does not modify the assembly.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back