Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chamfer Along Portion of Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhart

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2002
I have been messing w/ trying to make a chamfer that only covers a specified distance along an edge. The chamfer tool doesn't seem to facilitate this, and I cannot use the sketch chamfer tool b/c the chamfer is on an edge created by an extrusion process.
The closest I have come is to sweep a triangle along a path that covers the portion of the edge that I want to chamfer, however, the edge details are a little crude compared to how I think that SW would do it if SW can do it.
Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try creating a split line where the chamfer ends. Then use the Chamfer tool and select the edge that runs from where the chamfer starts up to the split line.

.....Peter.....

This is a limitation in SW. [thumbsdown]

I use the same method as you. An alternative would be to make an extruded feature, then add a chamfer (or include the chamfer at the sketch level), then make another extrude which does not have the chamfer. Not a nice clean way, but a possibility & you would then be able to control the chamfer length by controlling the first extruded feature length. (By DT or manually or equation)

Another possibility I have not tried is to use multibody parts ... one with & one without a chamfer.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. [lol]

PakRat
That was the first thing I tried. I could not get it work for me ... the chamfer continued through the split edge. If you have done this please post how.

I usually create a new plane, then extrude-cut my chamfer the required distance along the edge. Never thought to use a Split Line though...

Ray Reynolds
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

All Right,
I get the same problem w/ split lines that CorBlimeyLimey pointed out. So I tried splitting the chamfer after I created it, which worked, but now how do I get rid of the parts of the chamfer that I don't need w/o deleting the whole feature?

I don't think you can. Your best bet is to stay with the method used in your first post. It is the cleanest & simplest way. Anyone interested in seeing a "user specified length Chamfer/Fillet feature" should put in an Enhancement Request to SW.

BTW what did you mean by "the edge details are a little crude compared to how I think that SW would do it"

We have several parts with a partial chamfer and also didn't want the abrupt transition at the end. We sketched a sweep path that defines the initial and transition shape/path. Create your triangle and sweep/cut along the path. We are so anal with these parts that we also apply a small fillet to the chamfer edges!

I think this falls into the category of "push button modeling". We will always be required to use some thought and a few commands to create our part geometry. There are most times numerous methods to achieve the same result, use the one that "fits" your thought process best. If you do a lot of these "anal" chamfers, get an API guy/gal to create a function for you. I think there is a critical mass that software reaches where there are so many commands and features it becomes very hard to revise and support. We may be there now, how many more features and slower performance can we stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back