Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change in groove type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thuhuongengineer

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2013
US
Hi everybody,
See note 31, Table 4.5 in AWS D1.1 "A change in groove type (e.g., single-V to double-V), except qualification of any CJP groove weld qualifies for any groove detail conforming with the requirements of 3.12 or 3.13"
It mean that, We cannot write WPS for Double V if we had PQR single V.
- PQR qualify Single Bevel-WPS only write Single Bevel
- PQR qualify Double bevel-WPS only write double bevel
- PQR qualify Single U- WPS only write Single U
...............etc...........................
However, some project, my client have been approved WPS single V which write PQR single bevel. Pls help me clear this issue. Thanks so much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The contractor must revise the existing WPS to include the prequalified groove details included in figures 3.3 and 3.4. The contractor can then use any of the grooves depicted in the figures provided they comply with the parameters, i.e., groove angle, root opening, use of backing, spacers, and/or back gouging, etc.

Best regards - Al

I agree with Pand. If the weld in the other joint detail is a PJP and you qualified a CJP groove detail, you have to evaluate the procedure per Clause 4.11.3.

Hope this helps

Accroding to table 4.5 "A change in groove type (e.g., single V to double V), except qualification of any CJP groove weld qualifies for any groove detail conforming with the requirements of 3.12 or 3.13". It mean that: We can write WPS single V, Double V-CJP which support by PQR single bevel.

Yes, you can do that, provided the tolerances of the single V and double V meet the requirements of the prequalified joint details. If they do not, i.e. reduction in groove angle, root opening, or root face beyond what the prequalified joint details permit, then you are bound to the joint type used during qualification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back