Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change name of parts in assembly with 300+ parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin898989

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2016
DE
Hi Guys,

I have an assembly with over 300 parts.

Its looking like:

casing_320
shaft_320
housing_320
O-Ring_ISO_...
Head cap screw M12x40...

I now want to clone or save it like:

casing_170
shaft_170
housing_170
O-Ring_ISO_...
Head cap screw M12x40...

I have tried to use the clone and the naming rule replace. It wont work or I dont know how to use it.

Thank you
Martin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Attached is a Excel file (with a macro built in) which will create a Assembly Clone log file. This log file can be used with the clone dialog in NX, to specify the names for parts when cloning.
There's a Powerpoint that goes with it.

I didn't create it, but found it a few years back.
To me, using this would be the simplest way to get what you're after as you've got over 300 parts to name.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX9 to NX2212 (13 versions)

If it's a simply "replace all 320 with 170" you can probably do this by the name rule, but then the dialogs for exceptions are plain hell when your assembly has passed say 25 components in size.
so what you can do is load up the assembly into the clone function, set the name rule "replace 320 by 170" and other settings you prefer. Then do a dry run and save that information window as a plain textfile.
this textfile can be used as Anthony mentions above, but
you can before using it as the input for the clone do the manual edits you like to it, i.e set the fasteners to "retain" instead of "clone" etc.
try this on some really small assembly to see how to do this before you do the 300+.

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back