Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Patran default nastran input offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomocas

May 13, 2014
ES
Hello,

I am looking for a way to change the default setting of Import/MD Nastran Input Options/Define Offsets/Offset from the value "Auto" to "None" or "0".

I searched the web and the only helpful bit a read was about changing the environment parameter: db_import_auto_offset in the following site:

I searched about what environment parameters are and found something called Windows environment variables. I do not know if this is the same thing. In case it was the same thing, I do not know how to implement it since the environment variables require a value. I tried creating a new variable with name "db_import_auto_offset" and value "false" or "None" but it is not working.

I would really appreciate ur help,

Thanks,

Jose

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jose,
according to Patran's help, if you want to change the value of an environment variable you just have to add a command line to this file : site_setup (located in folder C:\MSC.Software\Patran_x64\2008_r2 )

In your case, the command would be :
setEnv db_import_auto_offset 0

The only issue is that you have to know what variable to modify. Personally, I do not think this db_import_auto_offset variable is used by the ' Import/MD Nastran Input Options/Define Offsets/Offset' command, as it is not working...

In my experience, every default values are entered in Patran files, never in windows environment variables, I hope I helped a bit.
If you find a solution, thanks for posting.

Fred

PS : Apparently, this file is referenced when any MSC/PATRAN command is invoked, so no need to restart Patran after a modification.

Hi aznar,

Thank you so much for your reply! I tried what you said and, as you said, it is not working.

I just figured out from the link I posted that the command db_import_auto_offset is used to disable auto offset when importing a Patran database.

Since I want to aply this when importing an MD Nastran file, do you have any clue what should I replace "db" in the variable for?

I tried it replacing "db" by: "nastran", "nas", "nstr" and "mdn". hahaha none of them worked... :( Are you sure the value given should be "0" ??

Another question, do you know the difference between the files "site_setup" and "site_setup.pm", both located in the same directory?

Thank you very very much,

Jose

Hi Jose,
I have bad news for you. It is not possible to do what you asked unfortunately. Here is the reply I got from MSC :
I’m afraid there isn’t a way to change the default setting on that form. If it’s any help, remember that you can select the whole column by clicking on its label, and then blank all the cells at once.

could you give a list of all the environment variables used by Patran 2012 please

Most of the environment variables used by Patran are documented in the Installation and Operations Guide, which you should have access to in the Patran documentation. The variables appear in chapter 4, “User Environment”.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back