Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changed assembly file locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleWilcox

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2006
CA
Hi; I've got a problem. A previous employee made an assembly with files on one network drive letter, but now the files are on another network drive letter (Same directory otherwise). When opening the assembly, it says "cannot find file, would you like to find it yourself?" ... upon hitting yes and changing the drive letter, it works and finds all the rest of the files on the new drive. But it won't save it like that. Every time the assy is opened, we have to re-tell it the new location.

We are using PDMWorks, and the files which are giving grief are part of a non-revision-managed design library within PDM.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kyle

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And then after screwing around for an hour or two, I figure out the solution right after I post this...

SW only saves these changes for the parentmost open assembly and its direct children... subassemblies don't have these references saved for their children... our assembly in question has a few layers. Solution was to open up child assemblies and save them separately and work up the tree.

Thanks anyway !

For future reference:

Before you open an assembly, click on the assembly you want, click "references", and you can replace the folder of specified assembly references.

You could also have adjusted your search directories to look for the files in specified locations. I'm not sure how this would work in the PDMWorks environment you describe, though.

cool, thanks rlj... that seems like it also may have worked... I thought I might be able to do something with the search directories like that, but that's more of a "patch over" and not actually solving the issue. I think Matt maybe you just interpreted the situation wrong.

In any case--opening each assembly and saving them with new references worked, while opening a parent assembly with those subassemblies with bad references, wouldn't...

thanks again for the words of help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back