Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing custom config. specific

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix027

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2002
BE
Hello ,

Is it possible to change the custom config. specific of a part WITHOUT opening the part?

for example with VBA

greetings mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, NO!

The only way I know to change doc. properties without opening the file it's using DSOfile (a M$ dll). But this can change only the doc. summary properties and the custom properties. Not the configuration specific (sad, isn't it?)

Regards

You can access the config specific using SolidWorks Explorer which would lead me to believe that you can get to it through the API. We populate our models custom props using the API. I will post the calls for Config specific if I find any. BBJT CSWP

I agree with you BBJT. But I think the big issue here is not access the properties, but do it without opening the file. This is very usefull specialy when you need to create or modify a property in a group of docs. Opening each doc. and change the properties is time consuming and it's easy to have errors. Another way is to have an API that can automate the opening of each file and act on the properties, but that is also time consuming for the computer (I have this method for AutoCad because it doesn't work with DSOfile).

Regards

Using explorer, right mouse click on the SolidWorks part file, click Properties. Click the Custom tab. Pick the property you want to change and in the Value text box change it. Then click the Modify button and OK. Now open the model in SolidWorks to see if it changed. You will not be able to get to custom properties if an application like SolidWorks has the file open. I hope this is what you are asking about. Good luck. Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back