Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing drawing formats of existing, finished drawings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
Two situations have recently developed. One is from an error, and the other is the result of my group falling under the auspices of another design graphics group in our company.

1 - The wrong size format ( D size drawing) has been mistakenly applied to an F size drawing.

2 - The "other" groups drawing formats have additional BOM options ( a single line BOM for instance ) as well as different notes, etc.

If an existing finished drawing has its dwg format replaced I anticipate there will likely be some unexpected results . BOM parameters etc.

My questions are -
1 - Is swapping formats known to often create really big problems?

2 - Is there a process or tricks that can reduce the problems?

thanks,

Dan T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have replaced formats several times without any unexpected results. If there is more than one model in the drawing make sure the active model is the one you want to fill in the parameters in the format.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Also be sure that your paramaters align with the same names in both format tables.
This will be the hardest to correct, especially if you have to update all of your models to do it.
It will be easier to take their format and update parameters in it to match your names.
If the goal is to use a single company-wide format, then you will need to update the models.
ModelCheck can be used to batch update the parameters, but it takes some work to get the process right.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back