Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing extensions lines to centerlines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

2design

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2006
US
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to change extension lines in a drawing that indicate the center of a hole to a centerline? I am told this is an ANSI standard.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I second CBL. And be sure that your drawing standard is set to ANSI (remember this is set per drawing, so if the template isn't ANSI you'll have to change this each time).

Thanks for your input,

Just for clarification, we need need the extension line to be completely replaced by the centerline. We currently do this by dragging it down to nothing and then drag the centerline from the hole to the ordinate dimension. This causes the software to act up becasue the extension line now has ~0 length.

Is there a way to just change the font line of the extension line to look like a centerline?

Thanks.

If you mean the actual extension line created by a dimension, no you can't change it. It is not standard. If you need a centerline, draw the CL, then dim to it.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 2.2/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 03-11-07)

ASME Y14.5m-1994 doesn't really address this specifically, as far as I can tell. But in its examples, it shows extentions lines to centers being handled by both methods. It shows the centerline on the part with the extention line simply attaching to it from off the part, not being a centerline itself. And, it shows extention lines as centerlines in the same scenario, but in other examples. I can't find any actual text that referes to this.

So, as far as this being standard or not, it appears that it is acceptable to the standard, but not required by it.

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

Thanks Matt,

This is our intepretation also but we can't convince the person that dictates our rules pertaining to drawings.

There is no way to make a script to change the line font?

Thanks.

2design,

Option 1 (short term): Draw your centerlines in advance to adding the dimension. Ok, with you centerlines set to the length you like, insert your dimension. Now, you can remove the extension lines by clicking on that dimension, then picking the "More Properties..." button at the bottom of the Dimension properties field in the Feature Manager. From there, choose the "Display..." button. The pop up window will allow you to remove the extension lines. Select OK, and the resulting dimension look should be as expected by your Checker.

Option 2 (long term): Go over your Checker's head and show whoever what the standard says and what the software does and how much time that is being wasted to comply to something that isn't required.

Option 3 (long term and out of your control): Put an Enhancement Request in to SolidWorks asking them to provide methods that allow user to have extensions lines automatically appear as centerlines if they come off of an existing centerline or an arc/hole feature.

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

Matt,

Thanks for the help again but,

1) We are using ordinate dimensions and the extension lines don't turn off using this method.

2) The checker is not the problem, he agrees with us. It goes higher than that. Some things are just too sacred to change.

3) Solidworks has told us it is not a standard and won't change it unless we can prove it is a standard by getting more clarification from the ANSI people. We asked for clarification from the ANSI people six month ago and have heard very little back that would help us out.

Thanks for the try. It was worth a shot.

Wow, sucks. I would recommend putting in an enhancement request again anyway. I will too. Afterall, it's about what the customer wants more than anything. :) At a minimum, they should have a setting in ord dims that automatically uses a centerline between two inline circles along the same ord.

Have you tried looking at ASME Y14.2M-1992 which covers line conventions and lettering? I currently don't have access to this standard, but it may cover this point with regards to how center lines are treated when they are attached to an extension line.

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

Sorry if I laugh put this is an example of some stupid things companies won't give on (same problem where I work). Its just a drawing, no one is going to shoot you for lack of centerlines except for some people who perceive soem imaginary problem.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
UG NX4.01.0 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2 on WinXP SP2

This is a lot of fuss about nothing. The best solution is to get the rule dictator to provide the source for such a standard. If there is indeed a legitimate rule, then time can be spent to hash out how to achieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back