Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

changing from slipring motor to cage motor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrical
May 14, 2000
i want to replace a 300 hp slip ring motor to a 250 kw 333 hp induction motor with a kl16 rotor (high torque application).<br>will it work?<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, you've to see the nature of motor starting:<br><br>1. Is it started through a variable resistance in the rotor circuit? If so, see how fast is the external resistance brought down to zero. Is it pretty slow, that&nbsp;&nbsp;we cannot compare it with starting with a shorted rotor?<br><br>2. If (1) above is true, then is such a starting needed for the application? <br><br>If answers (1) or (2) above are negative, most probably, you could go for an induction motor, with proper ratings. <p>Narayanan UM<br><a href=mailto:umn@ieee.org>umn@ieee.org</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi,<br>I think it will be very useful if you determine what kind a driving application is yours. If your system is using the advantages of slipring (such as soft starting or a limited speed control maybe?), you cannot change your motor directly. High motor starting torques sometimes can break the mechanical system with large inertia. A slipring is a simple way to limit this torque. If you make a change with cage motor you may have to use an additional power electronics soft starter also.<br>regards

I think you need to tell us more about the application and your electrical<br>supply.In some cases there is nothing to beat a slipring motor especially <br>when starting a very heavy load where you want to limit torque and current<br>draw.My personal experience with them is on rubber mills.

I would suggest the following :<br><br><br>1.please check that your system should be very powerful to sustain starting current of motor.<br><br>2. I recomend that you should use atleast 4 stage   auto-transformer method of starting to reduce starting current and smoother running.<br>The Cage motor can be run,in place of Slipring motor if the above suggestions applied.<br><br>Regards<br>khalid khan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back