Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing material properties in Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNS747

Aerospace
Jan 19, 2007
GB
Hi All
I am using Abaqus 6.7-1. I have a solid which is assigned Steel properties and I have three Steps. The steel properties needs to remain same for the first two steps where as it should change in the third step. I have defined two materials for this purpose named Steel-1 and Steel-2, and i want to use Steel-1 for the first two steps and Steel-2 for the third step for the same solid. I am confused how to model this and wonder if it is possible to do??? I have seen some posts but i found them confusing and would appreciate if i get any clearer help to this. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Define one material using a field variable. Specify a value of zero for the field variable, giving Steel-1 properties, and a field variable value of 1 for Steel-2 properties.
Specify a value of zero for the field variable initial conditions. This will use Steel-1 properties.

*INITIAL CONDITIONS, TYPE=FIELD
NALL, 0.0
(where NALL is a node set of all nodes)

In the third step set the field variable to 1:
*FIELD
NALL, 1.0

Steel-2 properties will then be used.
If there is a large change in properties (if you have plastic deformation) therte may be convergence problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back