Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

changing my pump's gasket to Viton O-rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeland90

Chemical
Dec 13, 2021
SA
Hello,
I'm using a pump for a project that requires a high temperature. Is there any tutorial on how I could change the gasket to Viton? This is my pump:
qb60-600-3_spkfcl.jpg
IMG_4597_drwvjv.jpg

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is high, 100c or 250c?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

You don't know what the temperature is but you want to change the "gasket" - what gasket, and why does it need changing?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

The temperature rating will impact many things about the pump, not just a mysterious "gasket".

You can't do anything if you don't know what temperature you are going to be pumping at...

This looks like a domestic central heating pump. They will not be good for anything more than what they say they are. Get a new pump.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi Ted. I really don't know. The guy I bought it from didn't even know it withstands 85C. The project I'm going to use this pump is a cooling system, which requires an engineered coolant to be circulating through a radiator. That very coolant is known to eat through almost all commercial gaskets in pumps (like nitrile rubber). That's why I want to change it with Viton, it's a compliance thing to the coolant.

You need a manual and the specs.
You will need a list of all elastomers in the wetted end, and their shapes and sizes.
You may find that they are already an acceptable material.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Hi EdStainless. Do you think I should get professional help in changing the gasket? Or can I learn it myself knowing I have never done it before and know nothing about pumps.

If you can get the information you should be able to do it.
A lot will depend on the shaft seal, if it is custom you are stuck.
You need to start with what is in it now, it may work for you.

A quick google search throws up max temp 40C.

e.g.
or
this one has details of the pumps materials and seals
This pump appears to be fundamentally the wrong choice for your application.

This pump appears to be aa screw connection so I have no idea what you mean by the gasket?

I don't know which bit was made in Italy but this appears all over the place as a cheap water pump designed for pumping water up to 40C

You need to search engine cooling pumps. Something like this?

LI, I presume that he means the shaft seals and the seal between the removable portion of the case.
Or high temp washdown pumps (like are used in car washes and dairy farms).
Most of them will handle 185F (85C) water.

whatever it is, even if the pump is free, it isn't worth the effort compared to buying the correct pump in the first place.

I have a hard time reconciling that the webpage and the nameplate.

The webpage says 40C max ambient temperature AND 40C max fluid temperature.

The nameplate says 85C. It's right after all the other fluid parameters, logical to assume it's a fluid parameter. I don't buy that it would be associated with the motor. Motor ambient temperature limit is likely 40C max. Motor temperature rating is typically given with a letter. And even if you go with the lowest grade temperature anyone has made in a long time (B) the temperature rating is a lot more than 85C (it's 130C).

So what explains the difference?
[ul]
[li]It might be this was a special order pump.[/li]
[li]It might be QB60 is a somewhat generic number that describes some but not all aspects of the pump (can encompass more than one model of pump) in a similar way that a motor frame 365TS tells us something about the motor but not all (there can be many models). Here is a QB60 with a different supplier name on the nameplate that looks to have slightly different nameplate parameters than the Hurricane QB60 posted above. And here are a bunch more QB60s. I'm pretty sure I saw one description talking about aluminum casing and another one talking about steel. I really don't know what kind of number QB60 is (uniquely tied to one manufacturer and model?) maybe someone else knows. [/li]
[/ul]
It's possible the supplier listed on the nameplate (an italian company) is still reachable to clarify the temperature rating, or maybe not (and who knows if you can communicate with them).

I don't know the true answer, but from what little I know about this, I personally would tend to trust the nameplate more than the links. In other words it seems to me more likely that we're somehow mistaken in linking these website descriptions to this particular pump and less likely that the supplier who put the nameplate on the pump made a mistake.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back