Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing Position Registers via PC/ Ethernet in Fanuc R30iA controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jswatwork

Electrical
Aug 16, 2007
US
Hey all,

My company is trying to use an LRMate 200iC as a positioning system for some experiments and we are using R30iA controller with our robot. I'm having a heck of a time trying to use this thing because I'm new to this type of robot and its programming languages (TPP, Karel etc). All I need is to be able to tell the robot from a PC where to move for its next location.

I would like to be able to directly input values in to the position registers of the controller. The kicker is, if it is at all possible, I'd like to do it via Matlab or Labview. Has anyone ever tried this successfully? What tools do you recommend or know that may work for us? I'm ok with using Ethernet or Serial but I need to be able to change the values of the position registers in the controller.

I think this is all I need to be able to get my project off the ground. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
jsw

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not-A-Fanuc-Expert talking here, but I'll give it a try.

My limited experience with TPP suggests you won't be able to do this with TPP. It's too simplistic and meant to be that way. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

I think it may be more possible with KAREL, but I doubt Fanuc will allow you to write data directly to a register from an outside source. Other controllers I've used never did.

You probably will need to set up a secondary task (is this possible in Fanuc?) or subroutine to read in serial ASCII values, convert to numeric, stuff into register, THEN move to register value.

At least that's how I've done it with other robot controllers a couple dozen times.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Advanced Robotics & Automation Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back