Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Chapter 31 Special Construction and height requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antnyt23

Structural
Jul 11, 2012
US
I was just looking for a little clarification. I know that Telecom towers are exempt from Chapter 5 height and area requirements. I was curious exactly what type of construction new build tower sites are classified as. Here is what I'm finding and I'm not sure if its just a simple answer or not.

A. Towers are listed under Chapter 31 Special Construction. Chapter 31 states " The provisions of this chapter shall govern special building construction including .... Towers and antennas".

Does this simply mean that this section governs the towers and no construction type, occupancy, and therefore anything other listed in Chapter 31 is necessary for these structures? I would have expected it to spell it out a little better in either chapter 5 or somewhere else that special construction was exempt from height and area requirements if this is the case.

B. If this is not the case... the occupancy from chapter 3 would be U utility..... It would then fall under type 1 and 2 for construction type .... and due to the height of most towers it would be type 1 A and sometimes B depending on the height due to the allowable height and area table 503. This table also notes that chapter for has specific exceptions to the allowable height, however, I see no exemptions that are specific to towers and/or reference chapter 31 making them exempt from the height and area requirements. So all of this would in fact classify the tower to need 3 hour fire protection(or 2 for type 1 B) for primary structural frame.

I guess it would then once again lead me to believe that the tower itself is just strictly exempt to to it being listed under the Chapter 31 Special Construction section.

Am I completely over thinking this? Completely missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back