Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

characterise mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgrokkam

Chemical
Sep 27, 2007
US
I am interested in studying the effect of mixing. My experiment would be like compare
* the reaction in a narrow channel
and the reaction in a rotating tube.(no catalyst)

In both cases, I will maintain the same temperature, pressure, residence time.

Am I overlooking any other important parameter?

I request the forum professionals to throw some light on this subject.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you're referring to a STT (spinning tube in tube) reactor which is commercially available and patented. The tube surface is finely polished and the clearances are small so that shear and turbulence is very high. If your reaction kinetics is mixing limited then this has shown to overcome that for certain chemistries. If your chemistry forms precipitates then this might be a concern. Backmixing into the inlet could be a problem if your inlet flow is not high enough.

I would also refer you to the NAMF (North American Mixing Forum) which is associated with AIChE. Their website is You may not find detailed reactor information, but these are the professionals who are pushing the science.

After re-reading your message without bias I see that you are to have the reactants inside the spinning tube. If your flow is turbulent then you may not see any improvement. If it's laminar then perhaps you improve mixing at the wall, but enough to increase your reaction rate? Depends on the chemistry I suppose, but not much I would guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back