Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Charging of Li-Ion Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singhnishesh

Mechanical
Dec 28, 2018
AU
Hey! I am new to battery technology and had a quick question.

For my application I need a Li-ion battery with an energy of 500kWh(I can also use two batteries of 250kWh). How fast can I charge this battery and how fast can I discharge it? I know it depends upon the manufacturer rating and etc. But as a rule of thumb, what is the worst case C rating of charge and discharge that I can push to without depleting the life of the battery considerably?

Thank you for your help and support.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need an active cooling system to operate a battery that large. They are typically installed into large shipping containers.

You use very vague terms, "rule of thumb", "depleting the life of the battery considerably"

Discharging is highly dependent on both battery internal design as well as external voltage and paralleling, etc. For example, RC vehicle enthusiasts have created a market for batteries with 10C and higher discharge rates, but even 40 years ago, simple AA alkaline batteries could readily dump 10 amps for limited periods of time. With circuitry, even higher discharge rates are possible; lasers often require hundreds of amps discharged in the tens of nanoseconds regime using capacitor banks and FET dump switches to obviate battery series resistance.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back