Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Charpy V-Notch requirements for A Storage Building? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJR

Structural
Dec 23, 2000
TR
Pals

I know there is requirement for CVN values in Steel Bridges for particular for both non-fracture critical and fracture critical elements. These are given in AASHTO, and depend on service temperatures, and are strictest when temperatures drop below -31 fahrenheit(roughly 0Celsius)

Does anyone know similar requirements for normal building, eg a simple industrial shed at temperatures say -30Celsius (-10Fahrenheit)

Respects
IJR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Refer to page 6-27 of the 2nd Edition LRFD manual, Section 1c or Refer to page 16.1-3 of the 3rd Edition LRFD manual, Section 1c. Both sections the same. My understanding of this requirement in buildings is when using Group 4 or 5 members or >=2" thickness material subject to tensile stresses where complete joint penetration welds are being used. And then I have seen it specified that this is the requirement if the member is being used as part of the seismic resisting sytem. Don't know if this helps but have never seen it where the ambient temperature is the driving factor.

This is for you Redfish

First of thanks for being a very sharing pal. And thanks for pointing out the relevant parts of The AISC code.

I will share my findings based on European Codes here when I am done. Just like you said, brittle fracture has a lot to do with thickness, fracture-sensitivity, use of welds. Temperature becomes an important factor when it is lower than -20degrees Celsius (-4Fahrenheit). Even then all one has to do is simply make sure that for the loading type and detail used, thicknesses for the given grade of steel and Notch capacity, do not exceed some value. Looking it this way, one can comment generally that, there is no disqualifying a steel grade before examining the requirement of your structure.

Respects
ijr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back