Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

chassis-to-chassis insulation color

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTick

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2003
US
Is there a requirement for color of ground-continuity connections between different parts of a chassis? I have found nothing definitive. IEC 60204 green w/ yellow stripe seems to apply to specifically to power connections.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the purpose of the connection? Green / yellow is the colour code for a safety earth.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Chassis-to-chassis: providing ground continuity between steel structural parts.

Normally our product has ground continuity between moving parts by virtue of metal-to-metal contact between parts. On this product there are plastic bushings, thus a need for ground connection between parts.

Sounds like a safety bond, so green-yellow would be the appropriate colour code to choose. Of course you could use a tinned copper braid instead, then you won't have to worry about colours. [wink]

image.php

That seems to be the case. The design team would like to use something that is a better color match for our product, but it doesn't seem kosher. We'll probably go with plain braid.

Still, it doesn't seem to be 100% spelled out anywhere. If anyone can provide chapter and verse it would really help my case.

Section 15.2.2 of BS EN 60204 deals with colour code for the protective conductor. I don't have the IEC document so there's a possibility this is a localisation for Europe, although green & yellow is an IEC standard so I expect it to be identical to IEC.

Section 8 deals with earthing and bonding, and specifically 8.2.7 references an alternative to green / yellow conductors - it identifies the termination for the protective conductor using a green & yellow symbol which might be useful / necessary if you use the tinned braid option.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back