Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cheap green light source

Status
Not open for further replies.

opticsman

Industrial
Jun 4, 2002
GB
Hi
Can any one suggest a cheap and portable monochromatic source for demonstrating Newton fringes ( or similar interference fringes ) . green light is ideal but a green laser is ruled out becuase of cost ( target under $40 ) . I could use a narrow band filter plus torch ( flashlight ) but it will not be efficient becuase it will lose a lot of light. Are there any narrow (ish) green light flashlights around LED or other? Hopefully available in the UK ? any other suggestions are welcome.
thank you in advance . Opticsman.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fluorescent bulbs have a narrowband green line - the 546 nm mercury line. Cover the bulb with an appropriate green filter (check theater lighting shops for "gels," Rosco being a likely find). You also need a diffuser, which you might also find at the theater lighting shop.

I've never tried this, but it might also work: Your CRT monitor's red phosphor is very narrowband. If you can fill the whole screen with pure red, it might make an excellent source for viewing newton's fringes.

CEV

Funny you ask. I'm currently working with an item a bit more expensive than you're budgeting for, $210.00. It's the Edmund Optics Monochromatic lamp, R71-780, 5461 Angstroms.
I logged onto the forum to inquire about suggestions to collimate this light onto a 1.5 inch diameter sample. As bulb life increases, the light source weakens and the fringe contrast is not so good anymore. Otherwise, this source does the trick [recommended for viewing Brewster's and Newton's fringes]. In the printed Edmund Industrial Optics catalog, see facing page on "Using Optical Flats".

Michael Alderete
Mech Packaging Engineer
DRS Technologies-Sensors & Targeting Sys
Anaheim CA

The source that you're quoting is a large area diffuse source, which means that there is no convenient way to "collimate" that source.

What are you planning on doing with it?

since I work in the same area, you could call my office at x1006

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back