Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cheap HPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinook82

Industrial
Sep 26, 2003
Looking to have central indication of level points as measuremed by 3 Siemens/Milltronics LU10's (28 levels all together). It has AB remote I/O, PROFIBUS DP, Modbus RTU, and Devicenet capabilities. All I really need is central indication of all the level points, but do have a Windows network available as well. What's my simplest way to go?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need some hardware to display the values - an HMI.

That could be an HMI panel or a Windows PC running HMI software.

Most of the 3rd party HMI panels include a Modbus master. To use one would require - daisy chaining (wiring) the LU10's SmartLinx cards for RS-485 (I'm not sure whether the Smartlinx has a Modbus TCP-ethernet option)
- programming the HMI to poll the points and display the values. Not a terribly difficult effort.

To use a Windows PC requires an HMI software package. The HMI package could be vendor specific for the Profibus protocol or the A-B protocols or a 3rd party generic (Wonderware, Iconics, Intellution, Citect) using Modbus. Same programming task: poll the points and display the values.

I don't know whether A-B's RIO or Devicenet protocols are supported directly from A-Bs panels or not, but an A-B distributor could tell you what your options are.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back