Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check-Ras Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidpro

Civil/Environmental
Oct 15, 2009
US
I'm trying to run check-ras for the first time, and getting an error message when I try to extract the data from the report generated in Hec-Ras. I found the FEMA website's additional information on this error (attached below), but it still doesn't work. Anyone have any advice or had the same problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you copy the checkras.exe file that came in the zipped download across to the install directory? I followed the install instructions carefully (which included this step) and the only trouble I have with Check-RAS is that it makes your computer hang if you try to print to pdf.

The first problem you have is trying to use this ******** software. Do not waste your time if at all possible. I know that some clients and agencies may "require" you to run check-ras but I would strongly try to persuade them from the requirement. I'm not even sure that check-ras will work with the newer HEC-RAS versions. Even if you can get the program to run, the output from check-ras is not very good. It will basically tell you the same thing that you can get from the internal HEC-RAS error summaries. It will not tell you if the engineer has chosen the correct manning's values or entrance loss coefficients. There is no substitute for a trained and experienced engineer reviewing another engineer's work.

Did I mention I do not like the check-ras program?

Robert Billings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back