Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Check valves meaning of "Retainer less design"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinzzzz

Materials
Mar 24, 2009
IT
hi to all,

i have a question regarding Chack valves, what means for a check valve the term "retainer less design"?

thanks for all

best regards
Vincenzo Saviello

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The retainless design means that they do not drill completely through the body of the valve to enable installation of the hinge-pin and stop-pin of a dual-plate check. Instead of drilling through, they machine out a recess. This is pretty standard design (retainerless) by most manufacturers.

See API-594 for some pics of these pins through the body and google retainerless for pics of the variation.

Sorry about leading you astray as I was equating the retainerless description to an ordering description we used on ball checks. A better comparison probably would have been caged or non-caged.

The phrase Fugitive Emissions was just becoming the buzz word and you couldn't run fast enough to give anyone a dual wafer check valve at our site, though we did use a single disk internal hinged check valve.

Hi Bernoullies,

thanks for your explanation. I have found more info about "retainerless" on web. On API 594 valves droawings are all with the retainers passing through the valve body.

Many thanks Vincenzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back