Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chemical Composition of in-house Stainless Steel Fastener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy59

Automotive
Mar 26, 2002
CA
I am looking for third party verification of the composition of a Stainless Steel stand-off. I will list below the major components and would appreciate any one that could verify if it is so and what variant of stainless steel it would be:

a). C - 0.04%;
b). Si - 0.47%;
c). Mn - 1.74%;
d). P - 0.022%;
e). S - 0.26%;
f). Cr - 17.54%;
g). Mo - 0.42% &
h). Ni - 9.33%.

Also, it would be helpful if anyone out here in cyber-land could point to a site that might help in the future.

Best Regards,

Randy Chard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have the ASTM fastener specs in front of me, but if it was plate, sheet, etc. it would meet the chemical composition of ASTM A240 type 302. Nickel is a little bit low to meet type 304 specification. Fasteners could be different however.

G Roberts

GRoberts,
In my opinion, nickel content meets type 304 specification.

Max. 0.15%C for Type 302
Max. 0.08%C for Type 304

It could be AISI Type 304 rather than Type 302.

I just came across your old question by chance and have to tell you that what you have is 303. The very high sulfur level confirms that and distinguishes from normal stainless grades. It is a free-machining grade-the sulfur provides that-but you loose a great deat of corrosion resistance because of its presence. It is similar to 302 and 304, but it does not have their corrosion resistance.
Mike McGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back