Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chemical Composition Requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

791Medley

Civil/Environmental
Nov 19, 2013
US
My plant is new to the ASME thing and I am checking over the MTR's. I am struggling to find the charts for Carbon Steel. I am looking for the charts for SA516-70 & AS36. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are working to ASME then you should own a copy of the B&PV Code. There is not other way to get copies of the specs. They are copyrighted.
If you are working to the Code then you must have internal procedures that reference the requirements.....
If not then you are not really following the rules.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

My question still stands. Where in the B&PV Code would I find the charts for Carbon Steel listed above?

EdStainless excellently answered your question.
Purchase the BPV and refer to ASME Sec II for chemical compositions.

The chemistry of A-36 and A-516 overlap. Becaause SA-516 is made to fine grain melting, check aluminum, vanadium, and niobium contents. Be awarte that A-36 can also be made to fine grain melting.

Tip: You do not need to purchase the B&PV Code Section II to get the standard. These specifications are concurrent with ASTM Standards. Eliminate the S (i.e. ASME SA36 is ASTM A36; ASME SA516 is ASTM A516). This should work for your purpose of comparing MTRs.

Where in the B&PV Code would I find the charts for Carbon Steel listed above?

2013 Edition, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Part II, Materials, Part A Ferrous Material Specifications, page 145 for SA-36, and page 959 (Part II, Sa-451 to End).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back