Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chemical composition 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noordel

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2019
US
Hello,

I'm looking to select the correct material for some pipes and fittings. The liquid that will be pumped through these pipes and fittings is unknown in terms of what its made of chemically.

Where can I get this liquid tested to determine its chemical make up? or is there a way for an M.E. to figure it out without an extensive background in chemistry.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Litmus paper to test the PH. A small sample, as long as it is not water miscible,mixed in a small glass with water jar to determine if it is heavier or light than water for an indication of specific gravity; odor test to determine if it is odorless; color determination by visual; I would not do the taste and feel test; boiling and freezing temperatures with appropriate thermometers; flammability of a small sample by lighting with a fire starte such as those used on domestic propane gas grill; volatility by exposure to air; residues left from the volatility test are they explosive upon contact (be cautious though); vicoscity by visual is it free flowing as water or "thick" flowing as ketchup.

Selecting the correct piping material for a particular chemical should involve the responsible chemical engineer for the project.

This is not a choice that an MBA can just dump on the mechanical engineering staff..

You will also need the max operating temperature and MAWP (maximum allowable working pressure) to determine the correct pipe wall thickness, flange rating, insulation thicknesses etc ....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back