Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

chemical engineering cost estimation 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kanokkan,

What type of equipment are you wanting to get cost estimations for? Anything in particular?

JeffdlS

The chemical engineering plant cost index ( Guthrie's method) for several equipments can be found in "Chemical Engineering" magazine.
I have not 2001 indexes, and i am looking for them but in febrary '00 were these:

CE Index ==========> 391.2
Equipment ==========> 435.9
Heat exchangers and tanks ==========> 371.0
Process machinery ==========> 434.5
Pipes & valves ==========> 540.5
Process instruments ==========> 367.1
Pumps & compressors ==========> 669.3
Electrical equipment ==========> 338.7
Structural supports ==========> 409.4
Construction labor ==========> 292.6
Buildings ==========> 384.6
Engineeering & superv. ==========> 340.3

Chemical Engineering May 2000.

I have updated my Excel sheet on the CEPCI and I have added Note 2 which provides the detailed breakdown of the index for Jan 2002 (Preliminary). You can download the file from
I have not seen such a breakdown for a whole year. I would typically take a set of mid year numbers, say June 2001, but 2001 was not a good year for averaging such statistics. Post again here if you want data for say June 2001.

You may need to reference the Jan 2002 copy of Chemical Engineering. It contains an article describing how the indices were revised in 2001. It was a major revision and update. So 2001 is a really tough year to deal with.

I am also looking for the same equipments cost estiamtion values. I also need the detailed technical data for the equipments such as heat exchangers, seperatos, combustors, pumps,expanders, compressors etc. .

Does anyone knows about this subject ? I would appriciate if you help me ..

Thank you

Atilla ERSOZ

Thank you very much PAD123. I know tool. But I dont think they include catalyst cost or additional costs. Anyway, it can be found the company price list catalogs from the internet may be..!

I need some additional info about the technical info according to cost. I have estimated design data for all equipments.

Thank a lot for all helpings,

aersoz -

Sounds like you need to take your major equipment costs and multiply by a Lang factor to get total installed cost. Lang factors are in the range 4 to 5.

The cost index CEPCI won't be published until 2002 is over. Then the data has to be collected and processed. Expect the index for 2002 by about May 2003.

does anyone know where I can get price of different reformers for a methanol plant?

CEPCI for Feb 2003 (final) is 397.2
CECPI for March 2003 (preliminary) is 398.2
CECPI for 2002 was 395.6
A comparison of March 2003 with March 2002 (391.5) shows plant cost inflation running at 1.7% for the 12 month period.
This data is from June 2003 issue of Chemical Engineering.

HAZOP at

I came across a cost estimating program that some of you Lang and Guthrie fans may be interested in. Check out and download a 15 session maximum, almost fully functional demo of estpro. The help and manual files are worth reading since they discuss the development of the Lang and subsequent Guthrie approach to process plant cost estimating. The program seems out of date with files dated 1998. However it contains indices which allow updating. Give it a look. You could probably run a few real estimates on the demo.

HAZOP at

hi owg..
i try to download the file from but it just not working. It keeps informed me that the web site does not exist. Actually I'm looking for the cost index (equipment) for 2002, and you said that it could be download from the mentioned website. I've tried so many times but still not there. So, I would like to ask for your kindness to send me this information regarding the cost index to my email address here: zamir_y2k@hotmail.com . That will most appreciated as I really need those information as soon as possible. Thank for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back