Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Chemical Fastener 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
I'm looking to secure threaded rod from the underside of a concrete bridge deck for hanging 3"Ø fiberglass conduit. The hanger depth will be less than 12" to the bottom and it is nestled next to a concrete beam. Environmental loading from wind and snow will be minimum. The load from the conduit will likely be less than 30 pounds (I will include design for ice loading).

I'm looking at using a chemical fastener that will accept a 3/8" dia or 1/2" dia UNC or UNF threaded rod. It appears that the Hilti HIS RN 316 fastener will work, but I've been unable to obtain technical information about it.

Is there an alternate faster that can be used to secure threaded rod? Can a KB1 be used and instead of using the supplied bolt, can a threaded rod be used in lieu of it after it has been tightened? Do they use standard UNC or UNF threads?

I'm thinking of something like this (all SS):

Clipboard01_wahbde.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And beware of using 300 SS for overhead work as well.
Any salts (road or environmental) will lead to SCC failures.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I remember the Big Dig failure... thanks.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks, Ed... Is that chloride salts? or salts in general?

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks azcats... I was planning chemical... my preference... but will take a look at mechanical. Before coming across the Hilti chem fastener, I was thinking about using KB1s and using a threaded rod in lieu of their bolt... just using the bolt to set the wedges...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Heck, if needed and possible, I'd have it HDG and used it.

I knew chlorides are a problem with SS, but not as much as has been shown. Currently waiting on the salts they use and will likely use HDG or if I have to, fiberglass...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks Crabby...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back