Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chemical resisitive coating for steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdsdesigner

Structural
Mar 18, 2003
US
I am designing a structure that will provide shelter at a railcar loading area. The area is exposed to sulfuric acid.
I need a coating for the galvanized structural steel that will protect it from the corrosive properties of the acid.
Any ideas, company names, phone numbers ??

Thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your best bet for true chemical resistance is a teflon based coating. I dont think that you would need a very thick coating to get suffient protection but the price per square foot is likley to be higher than most other coatings.

A potentially cheaper way would be an epoxy based system, athough it would require a thicker coat and more frequent recoating. And it may not be approprate for very strong acids or for long term contact.

The questions you have to ask is how often will it be in contact with the acid, much acid will there be and how strong is the acid in question? Will it be washed off by maintence or rainfall on a regular basis? Are there any areas in the structure where acid could pool and be concentrated by evaporation? most importantly I would ask a few suppliers for sample panels and soak them for a week or so in a sample of the acid and see what happens.

Email me if you have any questions

mbrownpti@aol.com

A vendor recommended Plasite for lining steel tanks exposed to weak sulfuric. They have a web page. I see lots of rail cars using this coating.

You might consider 100% polyurea. It has excellent sulfuric acid resistance and is a durable coating product. The key is surface preparation. If you can get the surface clean the polyurea will stick like all get out on the metal surface.

See -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back