Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chemical Storage Building Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBDaniel

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2003
US
I need to build a storage building for power plant chemicals and wanted to know what standards or best practices are available for construction of such a structure, particularly with reference to containment, drainage, and ventilation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look up the local codes for Hazardous materials, fire codes if this stuff can burn and the code for containment. Ussually they want to contain the entire volume inside a curb. I'd look at where the ventilation fans may blow particles. NOT AT A SCHOOL. Then you will have to look at treating any storm water that may come into contact with the chemicals.

Generally you have to contain any spill or other discharge to the environment. This will require some sort of containment structure and/or some sort of spill collection system.

You will have to provide the capability to monitor the product.

You will also have to provide fire and explosion protection.

You will also have to provide personal protection for the workers who will be entering the area.

Exactly what you will have to provide will depend on what material you are storing, how much material and where you are storing the material. Where does not only apply to the jurisdiction where you are located but the use and occupancy of near by land and to the geology, hydrogeology and topography of the site.

A little more information would help us answer your question. The first place I’d look is at the MSDS for the material.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back