Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Chevrolet Gas Mileage claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transmissiontowers

Structural
Jul 7, 2005
US
Have you seen the TV ad by Chevrolet that says "9 out of 10 models that we sell get 30 mpg on the highway or better"?

I don't see how that they can say this and what statistics are they using to make the statement? I realize that this is not much of an engineering question but I was just curious how they can sell huge amounts of Chevy trucks at 19 mpg and claim 30 mpg.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, why don't you look on their website? I'd be astonished if they didn't have the relevant numbers.

Things they might be doing is using highway rather than total, (I doubt it), or they might be counting 'models' in arather curious fashion, or, heaven forbid, they might even be telling the truth.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Nine out of ten "models" is not the same as nine out of ten "vehicles".

"Highway" mileage is achievable, on the interstate.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I took your advice and on the Chevy web site they do list 6 "models" that get 30+ mpg on the highway if you only count the "car" models (Aveo, Cobalt, HHR, Impala, Malibu, and Monte Carlo). The only "car" model not to get 30+ is the Corvette. So 6 out of 7 models do get 30+ for a 85.71% ratio which I guess they could round off to 90%. I suppose the trick is to not count Trucks and SUVs as "cars".

The commercial actually says 9 out of every 10 CARS get 30 mpg or better. Obviously they aren't counting trucks and SUV's. But still rather remarkable the Corvette can get 26 mpg highway, with over 400 hp.

On their website, the statistic is claimed to be backed up by R. L. Polk analysis, so you'd need to buy the database to verify the number.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back