Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Child Protection Bars for Galvanized Flared End Sections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

proletariat

Civil/Environmental
Apr 15, 2005
US
I am required by ordinance to place child protection (bars) over the end sections of culvert and storm sewer pipes on the downstream end. I would like to use galvanized flared end sections instead of concrete endwalls. Has anyone ever seen a galvanized end section that incorporates child protection?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NYSDOT uses grates over galvanized end sections not for child protection, but to make them traversable for run-off-road vehicles. You could use their design and tighten up the bar spacing.

If you put a grate on the downstream end, I recommend a trash rack on the upstream end to prevent clogging. Also, use something that can be removed without too much effort in a severe storm.

------------------------------------------
"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail."

Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

Our intent is to leave the upstream end open, so any small children that are using our culverts to hide from their parents while they learn to smoke cigarettes will be swept up and pinned against the downstream grate to be removed from the gene pool at an early age.

You, Sir, are indeed a sick puppy! I like the way you think!

------------------------------------------
"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail."

Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

In all seriousness though, it looks like an idea that can be modified with more robust, threaded anchors and be made to work. I ran it up the flagpole. Thanks.

I was thinking about that comment about the kids smoking cigs...

Wouldn't "child protection" be just as important, if not moreso, on the upstream end as the downstream end?

Like you said, if some kids are "exploring" the culverts and flow suddenly increases then they would be stuck up against the bars on the outlet. However, if only the upstream end had protection then the kids would just be washed out of the culvert.

I don't know about others, but I grew up in the land of hillbillies where it's almost a rite of passage to go exploring your neighborhood creeks and streams (and large culverts) when you're a young child.

That code is completely counter-intuitive. I would talk to the city/county/state about that BS.

Peace,
Stoddard

I was being sarcastic. We are using concrete headwalls upstream, which are easy to bolt grates to. I needed a cheap downstream alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back