Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chiller/mechanical pad on top of existing slope

Status
Not open for further replies.

geomane

Geotechnical
Apr 4, 2013
US
We are having to add a new chiller/mechanical pad on top of an existing slope at a dam project. I have attached a rough sketch for reference. The pad size and loading conditions are not known at this point; and I know this will influence the foundation type. The existing slope consists of compacted earth fill, clayey sand [SC] with an effective friction angle around 33 degrees. Groundwater will not be an issue. The slope has been stable for 40+ years.

We were originally thinking to just constructing a reinforced earth wall (mse/segmental retaining wall) and ground supporting the slab; however, I think we may have issues with having to shore the soils adjacent to the existing parking and sidewalk area if the reinforcement extends far enough. We will also have to check slope stability for this case.

My second thought is to just install helical piles through the slope and support the mechanical equipment on a platform. I feel this would be quick and easy.

Which of these options do you think would be most cost effective?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a6049af4-b713-4664-bf29-4b01660f98b6&file=Chiller-Mechanical_Pad_Rough_Sketch.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you drive piles or use drilled shafts to support a platform for the mechanical equipment? If so, maybe you could then attach then attach closure panels around the three sides for aesthetic reasons. Building a pile or pier supported platform would eliminate adding load to the slope and could eliminate the need for sheeting to support the paving when gouging into the slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back