Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chimney cross section selection in central heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

poseilus

Petroleum
Dec 23, 2003
GR
Hello to all,

I am trying to find required chimney cross section for a 47kW power central heating system.

I have used until know the following equations:
from DIN 4705
Redtenbacher that gives me a 0.037 square metres

Another one is Plewa and it gives me 0.03 square metres

and a last one from greek standrards organisation and from DIN 0.02 square metres. And also in Greek literature it is noted that DIN 4705 can be used. But German standards give me 0.037 and 0.02, but greek 0.02

Can someone please help me where to find the best way to calculate the cross section of a chimney?

I would really appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

Thank you in advance,

Poseilus.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The International Mechanical Code requires the chimney size to at least match the equipment connection size. So select the equipment first. If you think draft will be a problem, calculate draft & resize chimney accordingly but you are not allowed to reduce it below the equipment connection size. See power plant engineering textbook on chimney sizing. Beware of rule of thumb formulas because they don't apply to this small size boiler (47 Kw or 4.8 boiler hp).

Thanks lilliput1 for this info.

Where can I find the International Mechanical Code? Or the power plant engineering textbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back