Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chloride in A-Tower Residue

Status
Not open for further replies.

consilience1

Petroleum
Jul 31, 2006
KR
Dear Everybody,

Deep HDS Unit into which vacuum residue is fed has high chloride concentration problem in its Stripper Condenser. Basically, the salt from crude is almost removed through desalters, and a little residual salt such as NaCl is going to vacuum tower, however, NaCl dosen't like to be hydrolized to make Cl in the condenser.
So, I am just wondering,

How is going to be happen high chloride consentraion in the residue from A-Tower?
How about organic chloride, is there any experience?
or, what kind of condition can you imagine to react NaCl with Water?

Best Regards,
Lion in the Refinery.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you analyzed desalted crude, atmospheric residue and hydrotreated stream for chloride content? I think you must close the overall chloride balance first.

Organic halides mostly go overhead in crude units, since they cannot be removed by desalting and later they undergo hydrolysis at elevated temperatures, resulting in higher HCL overhead content. They are usually lower molecular weight and originating from cleaning agents, so it would be quite strange to end up in long residue.

Use adequate laboratory test method (unfortunately, I cannot remember these at the moment), instead of most common conductivity test.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"Our Music is New Black Polished Chrome That Came Into Summer Like Liquid Light"

If memory serves, Petreco and/or Tretolite....now Baker-Hughes....had a method for the determination of organic chlorides which typically pass untouched through the desalting process, but can be hydrolyzed to HCl at elevated temperature. You might contact these folk for some assistance.

Orenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back