Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chlorine Diffusion In 10 inch Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cremesti

Civil/Environmental
Apr 12, 2010
GB
Supposed I have a tank full of chlorinated water with 10 ppm free chlorine in it in the form of Ca(OCl)2. pH is 7.5.

there is a 10 inch pipe connected to the tank

how fast in m/hr will the chlorine diffuse into the pipe?

is there a way to calculate a linear diffusion rate in the pipe?

regards

rami

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be helpful to understand what you are trying to do. Some details would also help, ie. size of tank, length of pipe, is there a mixer, etc.

As posted, it is difficult to formulate a response.

Hi Bimr

the tank is a large one 2000 m3 which I chlorinated at 10 ppm free chlorine.

My question is theoretical:

if I had left the isolation valve on the 10 inch pipe to the Fire Fighting pumps open which is at the bottom of the tank, how fast will the chlorine diffuse into the pipe. there is no mixer.

rami

The chlorine dissipation rate will not be linear. The chlorine dissipation rate will depend on the fluid velocity, pipe diameter, temperature, water properties, chemical strength, chemical diffusion, and pipe materials. Many variables. Some of these items will be consuming chlorine.

If you look at Table 1 in the attachment, you might be able to extrapolate a value from it.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4301256b-b8db-4716-a55e-034199d27287&file=iasj_chlorine_dissipation.pdf
bimr, I only get first page in your PDF attachment. Can you repost or share an external link to the whole article? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back